[Noisebridge-discuss] ATSC background?

Jeremy Grosser synack at neohippie.net
Fri Sep 18 23:07:26 UTC 2009

I played around with decoding the MPEG2-TS stream coming off the
HDHomerun [1] a while ago and learned way more than I ever wanted to
about MPEG2. The ATSC spec really just tells you that the signal
should be 8VSB [2] modulated over the air and specifies the payload of
the MPEG2 packets (eg. program IDs, EIT, etc)

I ended up writing an (incomplete) MPEG2 decoder module [3] in Python
while learning about all of this. As far as I know, the TSPacket class
is a fairly complete implementation, but PESPacket needs some work.

[1] http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8VSB
[3] http://github.com/synack/mpegts/blob/master/mpeg2.py

--