[Noisebridge-discuss] Gender & Technology followups from 5Mof

maymay bitetheappleback at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 11:06:03 UTC 2009

On Sep 24, 2009, at 4:00 AM, Sai Emrys wrote:

>> So, perhaps the anomaly here isn't that I'm "genderqueer" but that my
>> desires aren't as moldable by advertising as many other people's are?
>
> Possible (though my cogsci background makes me pretty cynical about
> how moldable people, including me, are).
>
> Maybe if they tell you macho is sexy enough you'll grow out of it? :-P

HAH! Yeah, this whole "pretty" thing is "just a phase." ;)

>>> So why bother with railing against things that don't give a damn
>>> about
>>> your queerness anyway? I think you'd be better off (unless of course
>>> you simply want to vent, which I suppose is fine) picking more
>>> malleable targets.
>>
>> Can you suggest some more malleable targets to me? Could prove
>> useful….
>
> I think OKC (and similar relatively hip matchmaking sites) is a good
> target. Advertisers aren't.

Oh, *now* I get why you steered the conversation here. Speaking of, is
your OkCupid contact in San Francisco? I'll see if I can't track down
the OKC contact I used to have in NYC. Interestingly enough, last I
heard, his partner was transitioning.

Cheers,
-maymay