[Noisebridge-discuss] M.A.I.D. was: Freespace / slackspace file system

Mountain Sky mountainoceansky at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 25 06:12:20 UTC 2009

> > My version is much less stable - one can't depend that files that are
> > saved will stay there, and one might need to move 'em around a lot -

Coming at this with the tech know-how of a star-nosed mole... how would you propose that the overall organizational scheme ensure that whatever sekrit data you are trying to stuff into the slack-space isn't losing big chunks of itself with the user's files constantly switching bits around? You've addressed this happening, but what would you do about it?:

1) Have the data frequently monitored to see which redundant segments are on short supply?
A) and how would you then hide the monitor lizard?
B) or keep it in a cage outside the system?

2) Have the whole shebang frequently re-install itself equi-informationally into the fragged niches, overwriting any chinks it used to occupy and rooting out the fresh bits?
A) and wouldn't this draw detectably on the user's CPU performance?
B) and could the program that executes this, itself be tucked away in fragments and still be able to run?

3) Profit? :P

> > Very neat idea, though. I like it, and it'd potentially work well
> > together with mine.

It's fascinating! Hey Sai, <s>if</s> when you make this, would you consider naming it something to do with dandelions? They're my favourite flower, and i can't help but imagine them jutting up innocuously between slabs of data, spanning out their lives, and then casting a thousand self-replicating seeds to the wind. They're native to the most daunting of climates (Tibet) and thrive for great justice!

> I don't see how your idea is workable. I don't understand your threat
> model nor how your system is actually secure against someone who
> understands how it works. Can you explain the threat model and a general
> overview of the specification?

In my dandy mental model of this idea, anyone who's qualified and able to look through your files for crypto clues is doing it because your data stash is already suspicious/ under investigation, and a competent seeker will be able to see the nesting bits like fluffy bright yellow spots in your lawn. But if nobody's looking with the right tools, of course it won't be noticeable. Though, your idea would help initially present your data as innocent [merely a pr0n collection :P]. But i imagine, if you're caught wearing the red hat, your investigators will think to do more than poke your data with a sniffy-stick and give it the ol' spread-and-pat, and then you're in trouble.

> (Hrm. So I generally don't care for the terms "blackhat" or "whitehat"
> as they're largely meaningless. What's a whitehat who gets a speeding
> ticket in a car with fly by wire controls? What's a blackhat that helps
> overthrow a theocracy by leaking sensitive information gained by illicit
> means?)

It's all just Spy vs. Spy anyway.