[Noisebridge-discuss] M.A.I.D. was: Freespace / slackspace file system

dpc weasel at meer.net
Sun Sep 27 16:51:12 UTC 2009

Sai Emrys <noisebridge at saizai.com> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org> wrote:
>> Having the cover filesystem and the hidden filesystem mounted (and
>> writing!) simultaneously is going to be challenging.  If ssfs starts
>> writing to a formerly-slack block at the same time the ext3 filesystem
>> allocates the block and starts writing to it, you're likely to corrupt
>> the ext3 datablock.  You want to avoid breaking the host filesystem,
>> which is a bit challenging without modifying the host filesystem code.
>
> What if the FSFS daemon has a hook into the host FS, and proxies all
> operations to the FSFS, such that it can hard abort any writing to a
> just-allocated block?

isn't this hook, fuse or lower as vfs? (on linux-ish things, there's
prbably some equivilant things on other systems). the exact semantics
probably don't match what you're thinking of (if i understand the
discussion), but it seems like a lot of the infrastructure is ready for playing.

\p
---
Oderint dum metuant