[Noisebridge-discuss] Laser Cutter!

Shawn Wallace shawn at as220.org
Sun Sep 27 23:58:35 UTC 2009

If you get an Epilog laser cutter, we have a CUPS (Common Unix Printing
System) driver that we use here at AS220 Labs. It works great, and you
don't have to go the Corel Draw / proprietary Windows driver route. When
you get to that point, download the driver here:

   http://as220.org/labs/wiki/index.php/Software

I'd be happy to help with setup...

--Shawn

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009, Jonathan Foote wrote:

> LASER CUTTER.
>
> WANT.
>
> After seeing the awesome you can do at Tech Shop and NYCResistor, I'm
> willing to spearhead (lenshead?) an effort to get a laser cutter for
> Noisebridge. Though I've used one a couple times,
> I'm a relative noob. Talking points:
>
> 1. Is this cool?
>
> 2. What do we want in terms of power, deck size, cost (i.e. name brand
> or Chinese)? Used (cheaper, but potential for fraud and jankiness)  or
> new ($$$$) ?
>
> 3. Assuming people are OK with it at Noisebridge, where does it go?
> The DJ booth seems good in terms of corner location (low vibration,
> out of the way, some sound isolation) and access to window/wall (for
> ventilation). The DJs might disagree. Thoughts?
>
> 4. How do we pay? Consensus donations seems to be a workable solution,
> but we would have to figure out a quid pro quo (i.e. donors get
> priority or something). Is $20K an unreasonable goal?
>
> 5. Maintenance. Who babysits and fixes it when it breaks? (I will
> volunteer some but can't be there 24/7.)
>
> Grey started a wiki page in June. If you are interested in donating,
> using, or just interested, please sign up:
> https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Lasercutter
>
> I will summarize any list discussion there.
>

> Just in: I asked Bre Pettis of NYCResistor (who makes a living on his)
> for advice. Here's his response:
>
>> Minimum: 35 Watt Epilog Mini. 12x24  Machine + Filter + Tax = 20K
>>
>> Very Desirable: 60 Watt Epilog. 24x36 Machine + Filter + Tax = more than 20k.
>>
>> We wish we had gotten a more powerful machine, but because we didn't know better and it's a lot of money, we went with the mini.
>>
>> Don't get a chinese off brand machine. They are cheap and well, cheap.

S h a w n  P  W a l l a c e
http://www.as220.org/shawn/
115 Empire St Providence RI