[Noisebridge-discuss] Laser Cutter!

Shannon Lee shannon at scatter.com
Mon Sep 28 17:21:39 UTC 2009

So, I think this is a great goal; perhaps we decide what we want and then
set up a fundable for it.
As for your specific questions:

1) It's totally cool, and has been something specifically mentioned in the
same breath as '3d printer' as something we want for our fab setup. We
didn't get one at 83c because we didn't have room.

2) I am a big fan of the 'get a cheap one now' model; cheap means we get a
lot more experience figuring out why it broke, and now means we have more
time to do it -- we may have bought a cheap one, learned how to do cool
stuff with it, broken it, and been able to build enthusiasm for a much
better new one by the time we've raised the money for a nice one.

3) Does it need its own room?  Can it live in either the dirty shop or the
electronics area?  Does the room currently being used as the electrical shed
work for this purpose?

4) Fundables is a great way to raise money for stuff like this, someone has
to volunteer to be the Point Person.

5)  Everyone.

--S

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Jonathan Foote <jtfoote at ieee.org> wrote:

> LASER CUTTER.
>
> WANT.
>
> After seeing the awesome you can do at Tech Shop and NYCResistor, I'm
> willing to spearhead (lenshead?) an effort to get a laser cutter for
> Noisebridge. Though I've used one a couple times,
> I'm a relative noob. Talking points:
>
> 1. Is this cool?
>
> 2. What do we want in terms of power, deck size, cost (i.e. name brand
> or Chinese)? Used (cheaper, but potential for fraud and jankiness)  or
> new ($$$$) ?
>
> 3. Assuming people are OK with it at Noisebridge, where does it go?
> The DJ booth seems good in terms of corner location (low vibration,
> out of the way, some sound isolation) and access to window/wall (for
> ventilation). The DJs might disagree. Thoughts?
>
> 4. How do we pay? Consensus donations seems to be a workable solution,
> but we would have to figure out a quid pro quo (i.e. donors get
> priority or something). Is $20K an unreasonable goal?
>
> 5. Maintenance. Who babysits and fixes it when it breaks? (I will
> volunteer some but can't be there 24/7.)
>
> Grey started a wiki page in June. If you are interested in donating,
> using, or just interested, please sign up:
> https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Lasercutter
>
> I will summarize any list discussion there.
>

> Just in: I asked Bre Pettis of NYCResistor (who makes a living on his)
> for advice. Here's his response:
>
> > Minimum: 35 Watt Epilog Mini. 12x24  Machine + Filter + Tax = 20K
> >
> > Very Desirable: 60 Watt Epilog. 24x36 Machine + Filter + Tax = more than
> 20k.
> >
> > We wish we had gotten a more powerful machine, but because we didn't know
> better and it's a lot of money, we went with the mini.
> >
> > Don't get a chinese off brand machine. They are cheap and well, cheap.

Shannon Lee
(503) 539-3700