[Noisebridge-discuss] google issues "cease and desist" to android developer

Evan Martin martine at danga.com
Wed Sep 30 05:57:22 UTC 2009

Android phones = open source operating system + open source apps +
some closed source Google apps.

For example the standard "email" program (which speaks IMAP) is open
and there's a vibrant fork of it: http://code.google.com/p/k9mail/ .
But there's also a gmail-specific mail app that would guess isn't open
source.

Cyanogen distributed both the free and non-free bits, got a C&D for the latter.

It's not clear to me why Google cares though.  I heard that the closed
apps were unmodified.  I've heard rumors that the company that
provides the data that makes the maps app work is especially
protective, but don't let my mention of that in any way suggest that
it's not just stupid policymakers at the Goog.  Speaking of stupid
policies, see also http://jwz.livejournal.com/1096401.html .

(Not speaking on behalf of employer etc.)