[Noisebridge-discuss] Access control and the DJ booth

Quinn Norton quinn at quinnnorton.com
Wed Sep 30 21:18:21 UTC 2009

On Sep 30, 2009, at 4:56 PM, Jason Dusek wrote:

> Den 30.09.2009 kl. 12:39 skrev Sai Emrys <noisebridge at saizai.com>:
>> The attitude that everything that's in the space and not under
>> someone's immediate personal control is necessarily a donation seems
>> to me to be both hostile and illegal.
>
>   +1

I've never seen that happen in an practical way at NB. God knows if
there were an Olympic event that was forgetting my shit at Noisebridge
and coming back later to bring it home, I would have a the frickin'
gold medal. But they're not donations, they're things I brought in to
do one task. OTOH, if someone burned down my waffle iron I'd pout, but
the world wouldn't end.

I have stuff I'd love to lend to NB, and I don't, because that idea
doesn't exist. And that works.

But we could totally change that if we really wanted to. I mean if
someone said "hows about I loan Noisebridge a laser cutter for one
year" we might have a gurgling, salivating meeting where we all
decided that could be a special exception. We might decide we don't
care enough and turn it down. Not having  rules leaves us pretty
flexible about how we do these things.

Noisebridge doesn't have an attitude about anything- the people do.
That I've never seen anyone have the attitude stated above doesn't
mean it's never happened, but it seems like it would be rare amongst
grownups. I think if someone snatched my waffle iron away and declared
"but you donated it when you left! ha ha ha!" Everyone would just look
at them until they gave it back.