[Noisebridge-discuss] Conlang film showing live online & in person during Notacon, April 16-18

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Sat Apr 10 09:26:38 UTC 2010

Something from one of my other lives; I think y'all would enjoy this.
For those of you not coming to Notacon, you can watch it online, April
16-18 @ 4pm EST, link below.

Conlanging ~= applied linguistics hacking. ;-)

- Sai

CONLANG the movie is by Swan Dive Films; it was screened at LCC3 to a
very enthusiastic response, as well as getting awards at the Boston
Sci-Fi Film Festival and NYC Downtown Short Film Festival. Personally,
I think it's hilarious; there are plenty of in-jokes while remaining
very accessible to people not familiar with conlanging.

To quote them, the movie "is a universal story set in the unique world
of conlanging. A comedy about secret crushes, extreme linguistics and
the language of love, it tells the story of Carl, 26, an unemployed
conlang enthusiast. Even though Carl has no trouble creating new
languages, he has a hard time finding the words to express his
feelings to Libby, his secret crush. One day, Carl has a chance of
becoming president of the Constructed Language Society, a club of
people joined by their passion for invented languages. But between
battling misguided Esperantists and mastering Klingon, will he be able
to share his true feelings with the girl he adores?"

You can see an excerpt at http://conlangthemovie.com/Film_Excerpt.html

There are two ways to watch the film coming up:

1. Come out to Notacon in Cleveland, April 16th, 5pm:
http://notacon.org/events.html#Conlang

The film screening will include the final and pilot films in full
resolution, possibly a documentary film by Jake Sollins about the
gripping language that Alex & I are making (TBD; it's in editing now),
with me giving some context & commentary.

People who come in person will also get their choice of some very
nice-looking postcards, each representing one of the three main
characters in the film.

I'll also be giving my highly interactive talk on "Conlanging 101"
(where the audience co-creates a mini-conlang on the spot):
http://www.notacon.org/speakers.html#SaiEmrys

2. Watch live online during Notacon, April 16th, 17th, & 18th @ 4pm
EST: http://ustream.tv/channel/conlang-the-movie

It looks like the actors might also be there for the streaming.

Swan Dive Films has set up two promo sites & a Facebook page for the movie:

http://lordoftheconlangs.com
http://conlangthemovie.com
http://facebook.com/conlangthemovie

You can get updates through the main movie site or facebook page, or
through the LCS' blog aggregator which includes conlang-related
blogging from anyone in the community who sends us their feed info:
http://aggregator.conlang.org/

They're also working on a possible new online shorts series, a sort of
episodic romantic comedy with conlanging. If that sounds interesting
to you, drop a note on their Facebook page or email the director,
Marta Masferrer, at masferrer at gmail.com - viewer enthusiasm is going
to be a major factor in whether it happens.

Please forward this to anyone who'd be interested, join their Facebook
page, and help support this unique effort.

Enjoy,
- Sai