[Noisebridge-discuss] Help me w/ my PhD application - 5 minute meditation experiment

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Thu Apr 22 19:12:36 UTC 2010

I've got an outstanding app to U. Leipzig / Max Planck Institute,
cognitive neuroscience ish. The main researcher there is interested in
meditation, and so am I (among other things).

So I want to prepare a little pilot study with real data to boost my
app (and because I've been curious what the results will be for this
particular question for a while now).

I need participants - i.e. you.

It'll take 5 dedicated minutes of your time (literally - it's timed);
all you'll do is a specified breath meditation routine, and make a few
check marks about how you feel before and after.

I don't collect any personal info at all, you don't need any prior
experience (in fact, I mildly prefer people who don't), and it ain't
IRB-approved 'cause I ain't an Official Institution™ but I promise it
won't mess you up. I'll tell you afterwards what it was about; it's
testing a simple claim about how different breathing patterns affect
outcome. I'll send you the results when I'm done analyzing data.

I prefer to run this in person, but if that doesn't work for you I can
give you remote instructions; it really is very simple.

Please let me know offlist (or in person) if you're willing to help
out. This afternoon @ NB would be particularly good.

Thanks,
- Sai