[Noisebridge-discuss] Ruby Class

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Sun Apr 4 04:54:04 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Bryan Beeley <bryan at beeley.org> wrote:
> I would love to attend a Ruby class.  I won't be able to attend April 9th,
> but if you are willing to make the trip on the 16th, I would commit to being
> there assuming it started 6PM or later.

I can't do 16th, as I'll be at Notacon 14-19. I could do sometime ish next week.

> The specifics were unclear from the link.  What time would the class start?
>  How long would you expect it to go?

Noisebridge o'clock, I guess? So that's something like start vaguely
around 5, end when something shinier happens. I'm flexible.

I strongly suggest having an actual project in mind (especially a
simple one). IME learning in order to *make* something is far more
effective than learning to solve some arbitrary problem, which is what
I'll assign you to do if you don't have something.

I can show you how to make web apps, phone apps, console apps, web
services, libraries, etc. I wouldn't suggest the last two for newbies
though; they're too meta.

If you want to make a phone app (as in running a phone system - people
call your phone number and interesting stuff happens) then you'll need
to have an account with a service provider. I'd recommend
callwithus.com as the cheapest with good service that I know of.

It's also possible to make iPhone apps w/ ruby, but AFAIK the standard
is Objective C + Cocoa instead (I don't know why), and I don't know it
at all, so I can't help you there.

If anyone else is interested: please fill out
http://whenisgood.net/noisebridge/ruby w/ your availability. Friday
does seem to be the best for everyone though.

- Sai