[Noisebridge-discuss] Getting a piano for NB

Ever Falling everfalling at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 07:20:42 UTC 2010

 i'd help if i could but i too lack the transportation. i can provide
padding though. we have a good amount of rolls of green foam cushioning that
my mom was planning to use for seat cushions but never got around to it. as
long as we don't damage the pads it should be ok. also i'd very much like to
get a piano that plays those automatic music rolls. i can't think of the
name at the moment. i know it's a long shot but it's something that would be
useful in 'hacking' it in the future.

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 12:17 AM, Ian Atha <thatha at thatha.org> wrote:

> I am in complete support of this plan. I will help you in any way I
> can, but I don't have any equipment. I could offer Zipcar time if they
> have trucks that are big enough.
>
> -ian.
>
> On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 00:13, Sai Emrys <sai at saizai.com> wrote:
> > I'd like to have regular access to a piano again. It's been a long
> > time, I don't have space at home, and my hands feel itchy.
> >
> > Free pianos are to be had on craigslist, e.g.:
> > http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/zip?query=piano
> >
> > The catch is they are hard to move - you need at least two people, a
> > fair amount of padding, a trolley (if it's not on wheels already),
> > tiedowns, and a truck or big van. I have none of these things.
> >
> > On the plus side, although I've never tuned a piano before, I used to
> > be a semiprofessional piano and harpsichord player, and *have* had
> > professional training for how to tune a harpsichord, which is
> > something I've done a few times. So I'm pretty sure that with a
> > reference A-440 note and some tool that'll fit the pegs (we probably
> > have a socket wrench that'll do that), I can tune it.
> >
> > For that matter, this being NB, it's likely as not that we can figure
> > out how to just make/use an automatic electronic tuner on a laptop
> > from a mic.
> >
> > I also have a large amount of piano sheet music (95% classical, a few
> > random musical / folk / etc stuff) that I'd be happy to leave at NB
> > for usage, but would want to get back if I move, and would not want to
> > be turned into scrap.
> >
> > Anyway, tldr: would a couple of you be willing to get a piano into NB
> > in decent condition so I can tune it and we can all play it?
> >
> > - Sai

Trying to fix or change something, only guarantees and perpetuates its
existence.