[Noisebridge-discuss] Block over email for noise pollution

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Sat Apr 10 09:38:08 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 6:31 PM, Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org> wrote:
> So, no, *donations* (which are tax deductible as being for the benefit
> of a 501(c)3) are not "earmarked".  People buying things with their own
> money is not a donation in the 501(c)3 sense.

Technically doesn't this still result in a donation? E.g. in the
current situation, if people pool money so we get a piano, and the
piano is delivered to Noisebridge, that's effectively a donation of
the piano to NB.

It's not quite the same as what you were addressing though, since
you're right that the money per se was never officially held by the
corp. But donations of materials are still donations in terms of tax
writeoffs for the donators.

- Sai