[Noisebridge-discuss] what could we do with one of these babies..

Jonathan Foote jtfoote at ieee.org
Thu Apr 15 18:56:06 UTC 2010

Right -- not disputing it's a nice piece of hardware, and that their
software terms are open.

But if you write software for it, they stand to benefit, possibly
substantially more than you. Not that that's a bad deal for a research
group or a hackerspace, but sharing or even publicizing your work,
means publicity and sales for them, as few people could build their
own, and those who could might not even be able to if the hardware
design is insufficiently open.

While your time and skills may seem like a fine trade for this nice
piece of kit, if you have the chops to do something useful with it you
should realize you have a commodity in demand and understand that you
are giving it away for someone else's corporate benefit. (If you don't
think this is the case, how much do you think Willow pays their
engineers?) Not even saying that's a bad thing, just be aware of cui
bono.