[Noisebridge-discuss] Solderless led holder suggestions

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Wed Apr 28 20:05:16 UTC 2010

Excerpts from daniela steinsapir's message of Wed Apr 28 12:51:37 -0700 2010:
>  Hi there
>
>  I am looking to get this
>
> http://www.sunshineele.com/sdp/510438/4/pd-2718454/2895721-1318634/LED_holder__solderless_Connector.html
>
> Solderless holder with a patented clamping device which enables any LED with
> a standard 2.54mm pitch to be plugged in and held securely. To change the
> LED simply unplug and replace. Saves space and reduces assembly time. The
> holder is complete with pre-stripped and tinned 195mm leads. Body moulded in
> Toray 94V-0, dimensions 14.0 x 5.1 x 2.6mm.
>
>  Does anybody know of a local store that may  sell it?
>
>  I already tried Jameco and digikey..
>
> or if anybody knows of a good alternative that would be awesome!

I suppose it depends on what you want to do with it and how many you
want, but a couple of alternatives that come to mind:

 * Rip out pin header connectors from old computers / motherboards. The
   product you linked to appears to be just that.
   There are likely going to be a few to be found in the hack shelves
 * Use a breadboard and attach wires to that.

Cheers,
jof