[Noisebridge-discuss] Gopher Archive - Download A Piece of Internet History

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Thu Apr 29 19:21:33 UTC 2010

Some links were dead

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Sai Emrys <noisebridge at saizai.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Glen Jarvis <glen at glenjarvis.com> wrote:
> > Wow! I just searched for an active gopher site to test (gopher://
> quux.org/).
>
> I just looked at that gopher site. I tried actually loading a few
> txtfiles, almost none of 'em worked. :-/

Some links were dead, some were actually compressed files that download, and
some still work.

This link works on OSX 10.6.3/Firefox 3.6.2  - although I imagine it will
work on many firefox browsers:

gopher://gopher.quux.org/0/Software/Gopher/Mailing%20List.txt

(It's not very interesting though)

Other examples:

gopher://
gopher.quux.org/0/Computers/Standards%20and%20Specs/RFC/docs/rfc1436.txt

gopher://
gopher.quux.org/0/Archives/Mailing%20Lists/gopher/gopher.2002-02?/MBOX-MESSAGE/34

etc.

Glen
--
Whatever you can do or imagine, begin it;
boldness has beauty, magic, and power in it.

-- Goethe