[Noisebridge-discuss] google war driving

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 19:57:45 UTC 2010

2010/04/29 karen marcelo <karen at srl.org>:
> streetview google van logs MAC addresses.
>
> [...]
>
> so i think every meeting if so inclined, those who want to
> exchange hubs are encouraged to bring them in at the next
> meeting and exchange away :)

  I think this will do little to improve privacy for many
  people. The databases used by Google, &al. would remain
  relatively useful so no major firm would be discouraged from
  this practice.

  What could we do to improve things?

 .  We could provide a shell script included in OpenWRT that
    cycles ones MAC at random intervals, between 5 minutes and
    an hour, and make sure its easy to enable it. This only
    helps very adventurous persons, though. No grandmothers with
    flashing clocks need apply.

 .  We could write some sort of controller script that can be
    pointed at an IP on your local network and tries to use the
    router's web control panel to reset the MAC at random
    intervals. The potential for mayhem/confusion in this case
    is pretty serious but it could be an easy to use .exe that
    ran on grandma's old Alpha or Wang.

  I don't have any other ideas.

  We could also just not worry about; these routers beam all our
  data to the NSA/Wal-Mart mountain fortress, anyways.

--
Jason Dusek