[Noisebridge-discuss] [dorkbotsf-blabber] google war driving

Brian Topping topping at codehaus.org
Fri Apr 30 16:43:39 UTC 2010

In my last apartment, across the river from Manhattan, I was having incessant problems with my cell signal on a 2G iphone.  I could literally see one of the cell towers (on top of the ventilation towers for the midtown tunnel) after a kind representative from AT&T helped me spot it.  If the weather was good, I would always lock on to the weak signal emanating from this tower, but as soon as I walked away from the window or a boat would drive by, the call would drop.  The stronger signal from the correct tower in Queens never took priority unless it was foggy or raining.  In other words, my cell coverage sucked for the entire year I lived there.

During that time, I noticed that my very strong wifi signal from the other room would sometimes not link up when the cell signal was sporadic.  I found that odd, but just figured it was a bug.

Last week, I bought a new MBP with 10.6.3.  I took it out of the box and it asked me if I wanted to set my time zone based on my current location.  That was new, clearly it was using my wifi to figure out my location.

And it struck me that Apple's probably been uploading the wifi signals in view of my verified location for quite some time from cell phones.  Why wouldn't they, after all?

I'm not defending the practice, it's way more than creepy.  But I think the Google van is getting far less info than the cell phones these vendors have in everyone's hip pocket are collecting.