[Noisebridge-discuss] The New Science of Morality Part 2: Joshua D. Greene Talk & Discussion

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 16:23:28 UTC 2010

perhaps we can get josh greene to speak to us:

http://www.edge.org

This online edition with streaming video is available at:
http://www.edge.org/documents/archive/edge324.html

THE THIRD CULTURE

THE NEW SCIENCE OF MORALITY
An Edge Conference
- Part 2 -

JOSHUA D. GREENE
Talk (25 min) & Discussion (20 min)
Edge Video

[JOSHUA D. GREENE:] It's true that, as scientists, our basic job is to
describe the world as it is. But I don't think that that's the only
thing that matters. In fact, I think the reason why we're here, the
reason why we think this is such an exciting topic, is not that we think
that the new moral psychology is going to cure cancer. Rather, we think
that understanding this aspect of human nature is going to perhaps
change the way we think and change the way we respond to important
problems and issues in the real world.  If all we were going to do is
just describe how people think and never do anything with it, never use
our knowledge to change the way we relate to our problems, then I don't
think there would be much of a payoff. I think that applying our
scientific knowledge to real problems is the payoff.

So, I come to this field both as a philosopher and as a scientist, and
so, my real, core interest is in this relationship between the "is" of
moral psychology, the "is" of science, and the "ought" of morality. What
I'd like to do is present an alternative metaphor [to the one that Haidt
offered], an alternative analogy, to the big picture of moral
psychology....

-MORE-

JOSHUA D. GREEENE is a cognitive neuroscientist and a philosopher,
received his bachelor's degree in philosophy from Harvard (1997) and his
Ph.D. from Princeton (2002). In 2006 he joined the faculty of Harvard
University's Department of Psychology as an assistant professor. His
primary research interest is the psychological and neuroscientific study
of morality, focusing on the interplay between emotional and "cognitive"
processes in moral decision making. His broader interests cluster around
the intersection of philosophy, psychology, and neuroscience. He is
currently writing a book about the philosophical implications of our
emerging scientific understanding of morality.

EDGE IN THE NEWS
THE ATLANTIC

7.29.2010

THE FIVE MORAL SENSES
Alexis Madrigal

University of Virginia moral psychologist Jonathan Haidt delivered an
absolutely dynamite talk on new advances in his field last week. The
video and a transcript have been posted by Edge.org, a loose consortium
of very smart people run by John Brockman. Haidt whips us through
centuries of moral thought, recent evolutionary psychology, and
discloses which two papers every single psychology student should have
to read. Through it all, he's funny, erudite, and understandable. Here,
we excerpt a few paragraphs from his conclusion, in which Haidt tells us
how to think about our moral minds: ...

-MORE-

This online edition with streaming video is available at:
http://www.edge.org/documents/archive/edge324.html
Edge Foundation, Inc. is a nonprofit private operating foundation under
Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
EDGE

John Brockman, Editor and Publisher
Russell Weinberger, Associate Publisher
Copyright (c) 2010 by EDGE Foundation, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Published by EDGE Foundation, Inc.,
5 East 59th Street,
New York, NY  10022

EDGE Newsbytes:
http://www.edge.org/newsbytes.html
---
You are currently subscribed to edge_editions as: michael at michaelshiloh.com

leave-5648307-11122014.f2259b0f592f8ab91a5945b70f4e8004 at sand.lyris.net
Or, you can use the web form at the following URL:
http://www.edge.org/subscribe.html