[Noisebridge-discuss] Flattr micropayment system - possible revenue for Noisebridge?

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Sun Aug 15 01:50:43 UTC 2010

Anyone know about / have experience with the Flattr micropayment
platform? It sounds quite interesting, and I was wondering if it
could be a potential revenue stream for Noisebridge.

As I understand, it works like this:

* Sign up at http://flattr.com/register
* Pay a minimum of €2 per month ($2.55 as of this writing).
* When you see a web-page, site, "thing" that you'd like to donate to,
  if it has a flattr button, click that button.
* At the end of each month, the monthly amount you've paid is divided
  by the total number of "things" you've flattred. Each (flattree?)
  gets an equal portion, and Flattr gets 10% of incoming revenues.

Read more about it here:

  http://flattr.com/
  http://flattr.com/support/faq
  http://flattr.com/support/integrate

Any thoughts on placing a flattr button on https://noisebridge.net ?
I certainly wouldn't want to see any ads on our site, but this seems
like a fairly simple & direct way for folks to contribute. Flattr does
take 10%, but I feel it's going towards building a useful system.
I guess it'd require a minimum investment of €2 per month, but I
imagine we'd get back more than that. My thinking is that if there
aren't any objections to this, some subset of Noisebridgers who like
the idea could pool some money, maybe €24 to cover a year's fees.
I'd chip in for that.

Also, I was wondering what anyone thinks about Flattr in general.
I've been waiting for a system like this to pop up. Seems it'd be nice
to have alternative to ads as a way of supporting content creators.

John

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact