[Noisebridge-discuss] Safe has been opened

Bill Pollock bill at nostarch.com
Sun Aug 15 19:44:12 UTC 2010

Thanks to a Toool member I was finally able to open our safe. Apparently,
the safe is a Sentry fire safe (though an older one, I'm guessing from the
60s).

I was able to open the safe by lying it on its back, dialing the combo and
taping it in place, standing on the door, hammering on both the hinge side
and the locking side, and wrenching the handle down. After about an hour it
worked!

The problem was due to a file folder having become wedged next to the bolt.
Whoever locked the safe must have had to really force the lock. As a result,
it was very difficult to open.

The safe is still usable though I think I bent the door out of shape with
the hammering.

That was fun. Sort of.

Bill

--