[Noisebridge-discuss] Jacob Applebaum detained upon arriving in U.S.

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Mon Aug 2 20:50:44 UTC 2010

I have no idea if there is truth to the claim that the names of afghan
informants and allies were leaked.

If it is true, it would be my contention that such a leak constitutes a
breach of wikileaks commitment to harm minimization.  If they made a mistake
they should ostensibly address that with contrition and a statement of their
continued intent to minimize harm.

That is my concern with recent events.

-Matt

On Aug 2, 2010 4:45 PM, "Curly Wurly" <curlywurly22987 at gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Quinn Norton <quinn at quinnnorton.com> wrote:

> yes, journalists wrestle with this sort of thing, but sometimes even in
more straightforward journ...
In other words, the end justifies the means.  Why do journalists think
they have that right?

Instead of looking at the larger issue of the wars in total, the
reductionist in me boils it down to these assumptions:

1.) Assume there's a great injustice in the world.
2.) Assume I have a document, which when published could end that injustice.
3.) Assume that publishing the document will result in the execution
of John and Jane Doe.

I wouldn't publish it.

If you take a holistic view and pull in justifications such as how
unjust point 1 is, I think the debate gets cloudy.  Sticking with this
reductionist exposition, would anyone choose to publish it?

> there was also a danger of discovery which each and every person who
worked with the occupiers, ...
I agree.