[Noisebridge-discuss] Jacob Applebaum detained upon arriving in U.S.

Gian Pablo Villamil gian.pablo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 01:43:15 UTC 2010

If someone (the Taliban) is willing to execute people based on
documents from their enemy (the US Army), then they have exposed a
huge weakness - nothing prevents the US from seeding the documents
with the names of various Taliban commanders.

Apparently some of the leaked documents *are* part of a "poison the
well" strategy, with Afghan war veterans pointing out rather strange
discrepancies between the documents and incidents that they personally
witnessed.

If it is a "poison the well" type scenario, then the US has to make a
credible effort to investigate the leak and punish those responsible -
but simultaneously make sure the info is sufficiently widespread that
the other side has to take action, and it seems this is what is
happening. The info is still available, not just in the original, but
in various summaries and analyses from a small number of credible
mainstream news organizations. There hasn't been a concerted effort to
shut down the various sites, which is what you'd expect if operational
security really had been seriously compromised.

If this is being done carefully, I'd expect the Taliban and the
Pakistani SIS are the ones losing sleep.