[Noisebridge-discuss] Anyone want to hack some BlackBerrys?

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Thu Aug 5 14:30:22 UTC 2010

Look at an openbts style solution.  Imho.

On Aug 5, 2010 6:17 AM, "Danny O'Brien" <danny at spesh.com> wrote:

As part of my job, I've been looking at RIM's BlackBerry messagin systems
and how safe they are to use by people at risk of surveillance by
governments or large criminal concerns (as a spin-off from the UAE
threatening to ban them, and my provisional look at the situation here:
http://cpj.org/blog/2010/08/why-governments-dont-need-to-crack-the-blackberry.php).

I've pored over documentation and spoken to experts and done a lot of
thinking. To find out the truth, though,  I need to actually work out what
the hell a BB sends on the wire (welll, the wireless wire – and I'm not sure
intercepting WiFi via Wireshark will work, it has to be a bona fide cell
phone network) when it's using a telco operator provided service (as opposed
to RIM's enterprise messaging offerings).

Anyone want to help? I can supply a bunch of veery specific questions, and
some petty cash to buy stuff like a developer's signing key if we need it. I
don't have a BlackBerry to practice on, though, which is the first obvious
step.

d.