[Noisebridge-discuss] Sulfuric Acid

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Sun Aug 8 21:08:18 UTC 2010

Sean Cusack writes:

> [various sulfuric acid precautions]
>
> Anyways, this stuff is being stored in the darkroom right now (kinda out of
> the way), but given that this is a little more less obvious of a hazard then
> a lot of stuff at NB, I thought I'd let everyone know. Questions or
> concerns, let me know!

I'd recommend putting up signs inside and outside the darkroom
conveying some of the main points of what you wrote here.  The
people who use the darkroom might not be the same people who are
on the mailing list right now.

We don't have an organized MSDS collection, but one idea is to print
out an MSDS for sulfuric acid and post that somewhere inside the
darkroom too.  It could also be sensible to put an NFPA fire diamond
on the exterior wall of the darkroom summarizing the hazards from
things that are stored inside.  E.g. apparently a strikethrough W
is appropriate for sulfuric acid to warn people about the risks
of using water to extinguish fires in which it's involved.

http://cameochemicals.noaa.gov/chemical/5193

At some point we should try to put some buckets of baking soda and
sand in conspicuous places.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Qué empresa fácil no pensar en
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | un tigre, reflexioné.