[Noisebridge-discuss] computer PSU questions - is 5.5V normal for 5V?

Tymm Twillman tymmothy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 02:01:01 UTC 2010

generally things should be within a couple of %.  under a very light load there's likely to be more noise; if it's a good PSU tester though it should load things down well enough.

cheap supplies &/or bad capacitors will cause regulation problems.  but for most things, the voltages you're getting should be fine... though i'm assuming the tester basically has a DMM rather than a scope, so it's probably significantly worse -- as a multimeter will generally average things out a bit.  A properly used 'scope will let you see a lot more information about just what's going on.

specific to this supply, if it's off that much, i'd probably repurpose it...

(this is all assuming of course your tester is within spec...)