[Noisebridge-discuss] Sulfuric Acid

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Mon Aug 9 04:24:56 UTC 2010

Sean Cusack writes:

> Seth - I don't think we want to go so far as to add a NFPA fire code label.
> The ratings that end up on those labels are *not* standardized. In other
> words, one site's flammability "4" rating may be a different site's "2"
> rating. The person who sets the rating is generally an assigned safety
> person with some kind of qualifications to be making those classifications
> based on their knowledge of the site's storage facilities and level of
> expertise. Since we don't really have one of those people, I don't really
> know who would assign the ratings.

I appreciate your concern.  Maybe we can look into whether we could
get someone properly qualified to assign a proper NFPA code.

I did see a strong consensus from site to site about the particular
ratings that are appropriate for sulfuric acid.  Several different
sites all agreed on the values red 0, blue 3, yellow 2, NO WATER.  But
it might still be better to approach an expert.

It could be a good thing to have an appropriate fire diamond.  I've
seen several of them around the neighborhood, including for places
like photo shops.  I wouldn't think there's anything unduly bizarre
or scary about displaying one (maybe depending on the contents of the
fire diamond).

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Qué empresa fácil no pensar en
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | un tigre, reflexioné.