[Noisebridge-discuss] dealing with a troubled young lady? Discuss it on today's member meeting?

meredith scheff satiredun at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 23:19:39 UTC 2010

There is a far cry between waxing philosophical on the notions of sanity
(and respect thereof) and actually dealing with a disruptive presence.
I can tell you that she has personally bothered me, followed me around (in
the space and on the street outside) and (before reading 20 people saying
'she's not dangerous') really kinda freaking me out. I GTFO'd noisebridge
that day.
For veterans of noisebridge, we can probobly deal.
If this was the first (or hell, 10th) time I was here, I wouldn't want to
come back.
-Meredith

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 8:33 AM, Sai Emrys <saizai at gmail.com> wrote:

> To back up what Christie said: the level of fucked-up-ness required to
> get 5150ed varies.
>
> Basically someone has to be either clearly imminently suicidal, or so
> fucked up that they probably can't provide for their own food or
> shelter even in some extremely minimal sense (viz. our resident
> "homeless"). She does not sound like she qualifies.
>
> Given that someone both has contact with her father and the name of
> the hospital, I think it wouldn't be out of line to notify her
> attending psychologist of the situation (e.g. by voicemail). Any
> further care-taking is their joint responsibility, not ours, IMO, and
> in any case the psychologist will be in a far more qualified position
> to suggest appropriate action (or lack thereof).
>
> Also, I've seen nothing mentioned that indicates she's actually
> dangerous in any way. She's hyper, a bit incoherent (to those who
> posted), has some sort of family issues. So what? Unless that's
> causing her acute distress (I haven't seen someone indicate that) or
> endangering herself or others (eg out of it enough to act in false
> self defense against hallucinated aggression), let her be as she is.
>
> Of course, mere politeness can still apply, but that's by just the
> same (rather libertarian, "don't bother other people") norms of
> behavior we expect of each other per usual. If she is unable to be
> civil, that'd be another matter - but again, no evidence of that.
>

> So, tl;dr: tell her shrink, but chill out and leave her be unless
> there's an actual danger. We're all fucked up in our own speshul ways.
> :-P
>
> - Sai

doing stuff and making things
---
"The function of all art ... is an extension of the function of the visual
brain, to acquire knowledge; ...artists are, in a sense, neurologists who
study the capacities of the visual brain with techniques that are unique to
them. ." -Semir Zeki