[Noisebridge-discuss] Is there interest in an SMD practice electronics kit?

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Fri Aug 13 20:28:10 UTC 2010

I'll post video this evening; it's a classic circuit.  Here's a version of
it done with a little 8pin microcontroller:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOpjw6ZPWZ8 . The output is the same, but the
underlying chips are radically different.  smd1d6 uses the old school
approach, which is a vintage design from at least the late 70s, if not
earlier, implemented in reasonably recent SMD designs for maximum e-hipster
irony.
--
/jbm

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Rachel McConnell <rachel at xtreme.com>wrote:

> For me personally, a kit has to end up being something I want or want to
> make, as opposed to 'just' practice.  So, can you explain electronic
> dice a little more: is it, you push a button and it sticks a number on a
> screen or what?
>
> Rachel
>
> Josh Myer wrote:
> > Who all would be interested in an all-SMD electronics kit?  I've got a
> > design for all-SMD electronic dice that works, but it's got a few
> > awkward corners.  I'm not pushing it into production just yet, entirely
> > because I'm not certain there's a lot of interest in it.
> >
> > The board's designed to include a bit of everything that's reasonable to
> > hand-solder, with a couple of slightly awkward (but totally doable)
> > spots to force a few lessons in working with SMD.  In particular,
> > there's an SSOP16 chip at the heart of it, which is tricky to solder
> > down.  This may be a little ambitious, and I should probably swap it out
> > for a SOIC16.
> >
> > The other thing: since it's kinda specialized, I won't be able to sell
> > many, so I need to charge ~$20.  Is it worth that to you?  I prefer to
> > keep my kits as cheap as I can, entirely because I want them to be
> > edumacational, but I also need to at least break even on them.
> >
> > Thanks for any feedback you may have (off- or on-list)!
> > --
> > Josh Myer 650.248.3796
> >  josh at joshisanerd.com <mailto:josh at joshisanerd.com>

Josh Myer 650.248.3796