[Noisebridge-discuss] Flattr micropayment system - possible revenue for Noisebridge?

Neil Kandalgaonkar neilk at brevity.org
Mon Aug 16 18:05:18 UTC 2010

They seem to have been hit with some embarassingly basic XSS errors in
the first few days of beta release. I'm not impressed.

https://forum.flattr.com/showthread.php?tid=398

I spent a little time trying to figure it all out without actually
giving them money. In short, it seems to have all the security issues of
the Facebook Like button except this time with real money. Relying on
the browser's same-origin policy is not much of a plan.

I'm also not happy with Flattr's hasty FAQ, which answered none of my
security questions. They also just say that any money not disbursed per
month out in Flattr is donated to "a charity". *Which* charity?! And
there's not a word about fraud detection, as far as I can tell. This is
by far the biggest issue with micropayments, and it takes a lot of
capital to develop a quality fraud detection system.

Also, 10% is a ridiculously high fee. You are already paying fees on any
money you inject into their system (the normal way will be via Paypal or
credit card anyway). Unless it's also part of their plan to be paying
out a lot to mitigate fraud.

Good things: it's brilliant to tie this to a Reddit/Digg style
content-voting system and make all accounts capable of revenue. It's a
good way of getting around the chicken and egg issue. Content creators
will have an incentive to get the ball rolling by Flattring each other.
So this might actually spread virally for a while. So maybe they have
more of a chance than all the other people who tried virtually identical
ideas before.

--
Neil Kandalgaonkar   ) <neilk at brevity.org>