[Noisebridge-discuss] Art of Electronics [Book]

jim jim at well.com
Sun Aug 22 22:52:13 UTC 2010

   A Story

   A business made technical products. The owners took
pride in their quality and each year went to the best
engineering schools to hire the best graduates.
   For two or three decades the company did well, but
at some point the owners (engineers themselves) noted
that their quality was slipping. They hired a
consultant to help remedy.
   The consultant came on site for a couple of weeks
and finally reported to the owners:
   "I've interviewed your engineers and have found a
correlation. Some of your engineers produce high
quality designs and some do not. Those that produce
high quality designs have in common that they all fix
their own cars."

   It seems that good designers need more than math
and reading; there is some learning that comes from
hand work. There's a claim that the part of the brain
that controls finger movement also is responsible for
language.