[Noisebridge-discuss] iMac and Monitor for Noisebridge or parts?

Ian McKellar ian at mckellar.org
Thu Dec 2 18:53:11 UTC 2010

Hi, I have a couple of pieces of computer equipment cluttering up my house
that I really need to get rid of.

They're not useless, but they're not useful to me.

First of all I have an SGI flat-panel monitor, the 1600SW. It was a
revolutionary monitor for the time, it's even got it's own wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGI_1600SW
I've got the "multilink" adapter that lets you drive it off regular old DVI
(analog or digital, you can use VGA with the right VGA-DVI cable) and power
supplies for everything. They still go for $500-$600 new or half that used
on ebay, but that seems like a pain in the ass. I understand that
noisebridge is short on monitors - should I just come by and drop it off? I
understand that I can get a receipt for a donation, right?

Secondly I have a white 20" Intel iMac. The specs are: iMac 2.16 GHz Intel
Core 2 Duo, 1 GB 2x512 of RAM, 250 GB internal ATA drive, internal 8x
double-layer Super Drive, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR, Built-in
iSight, ATI Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory, 20" TFT display
Actually, I might have upgraded that RAM at some point.
The only problem with it is some occasional display corruption and crashing,
typically associated with heavy graphics load. My suspicion is that it's a
heat issue, but it could be a fucked logic board. Does anyone have a use for
it? Is anyone interested in diagnosing and fixing it? I really don't want to
send it to west-african landfill (
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/08/04/magazine/20100815-dump.html).

Ian

--