[Noisebridge-discuss] The OpenDoor Hackathon! Starting this Saturday!

Jordan Bunker jordan at pumpingstationone.org
Fri Dec 10 02:04:42 UTC 2010

Hello assembled hackerspaces, makerspaces, and coworking spaces of the
world! I am writing to let you know about the OpenDoor Hackathon, which
starts this weekend on Saturday!

If you have (or have thought of) creating an RFID, iButton, keypad, or other
door access system, and you love connecting and working with other hacking,
making, and coworking spaces, then you won’t want to miss out on this!

Here’s the run-down:

What is the OpenDoor Hackathon?
The OpenDoor Hackathon is a hackathon to benefit the members of
hacker/maker/artist/co-working spaces by creating a standardized, Open
Source door access and membership management system that can be used by
everyone. At the end of the hackathon, the systems (or subsystems) created
by each space will be voted upon, and the best system (or combination of
systems) will be chosen. Implementing the system afterwards is, of course,
optional.

Why are we doing this?
I know, the word "standardized" sends chills down my spine too, but I assure
you that this is a good thing! Deciding upon a common system would enable
the following things:

   - The ability to share membership between spaces
   - Crowdsourced security enhancements and feature additions
   - Easier membership management
   - A warm fuzzy feeling of being connected with other spaces

What we're envisioning (and what many of you already have) is a sort of
Reciprocikey or Space Passport system. We believe that the only way to
create such an awesome system is to work together on it!

Prize of an Ice Tube
Clock<http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=194>from
Adafruit <http://adafruit.com/> for the space who best implements the
standardization
of interface specification between custom softwares and access control. Each
space will review submissions at 2:00p PST on Sunday and rank the systems
they would most like to use (you cannot vote for your own). The runner up
will receive a Minty
Boost<http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=14>pack.
You can also vote on best hardware system, most elegant code, best
independent member management software - the top three of each will
receive Minty
Boost<http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=14>packs,
also via Adafruit.

Systems needed:

   - Software for access control (reads from memory stored users and network
   user databases)
      - Create a functional specification for how authentication can be done
      securely.
   - Software that manages membership rights (grants rights/features to
   users based on conditions specified by managers
      - Standardize an interface specification for how custom software can
      talk to the access control software interface.
         - example: 3rd party space has a member visiting, presents auth
         token.
         - example: someone wants to create a custom trusted UI (web, phone,
         etc.) for talking to the auth daemon
      - Web, phone, etc UI for membership management and access control
   software
      - Involve user interface management.  See what tools people are using
      today to manage membership and build hooks in the software to
manage access
      control, or build your own.
   - Hardware for reading identity (RFID reader, USB stick, etc.)
      - Build plug-ins to support common hardware (don't get stuck on any
      given vendor).

When is the OpenDoor Hackathon?
The OpenDoor Hackathon will begin on Saturday, December 11th at 2pm PST,
ending 24 hours later at 2pm PST on Sunday, December 12th. The freenode
channel will be #opendoor and you can see existing conversations on the
google group <http://groups.google.com/group/opendoorhack-a-thon>. We’ll do
a check-in an hour into the hackathon to see where everyone is at and what
systems people intend to use.

How do I sign up?
You can register your space's team at the Eventbrite
here<http://www.eventbrite.com/event/1054836043>
!

Join in the conversation at
http://groups.google.com/group/opendoorhack-a-thon!