[Noisebridge-discuss] be excellent to each other by sharing (my personal tip)

Patrick Keys citizenkeys at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 16:20:19 UTC 2010

Here is my personal tip on how to be excellent to each other.  This
started as a reply to the discussion about drinks, but I thought it was
worth its own message and goes along with the holiday spirit...

TRY TO BRING SOMETHING TO SHARE WITH EVERYBODY
A good rule of thumb for showing up at any public occasion, not just
Noisebridge, is to bring something to share.  In other cultures, they
call this a "peace offering".  You wouldn't show up at another culture's
tribe without a peace offering.  Seriously.  Every time I go to
noisebridge I try to bring some drinks, chips, frozen pizza, can of
coffee, bottle of wine, box of donuts, roll of cookie dought, etc.  Not
every time I come here can I actually bring something, but every time I
come here I at least try to bring something.

Don't be a mooch.  If you go to a party (not just noisebridge), good
social skills is to bring something to share.  Even just a 5 dollar
frozen pizza or a big bag of chips.  Even if it doesn't get eaten that
night and goes in the fridge, later on people will be all "who brought
this for us?"  And then somebody will remember that you brought it and
everyone will be all "yeah, that person was cool."

So please, for the greater good: in your daily lives, when you go to a
public place to hang out, bring a peace offering to share.

Patrick