[Noisebridge-discuss] boilerplate for event organizers

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Fri Dec 31 07:21:34 UTC 2010

Nick (our newest member!) talked a little at Tuesday meeting about the
disconnect between people attending the many small events in the space
and the central set of Noisebridge organizers -- a lot of even the
regular visitors don't know much about Noisebridge, or how their
donations (and help) could be useful. Informally, the survey seems to
back this up -- I'm definitely still uncovering small, self-contained
groups of ten or more who love Noisebridge but aren't necessarily
socially connected to the membership.

He sent me a draft of the preamble that he now gives the iPhone dev
group, and I turned it into a one minute spoken word piece[1] that we
can suggest any event planners use. It's on the wiki and linked to a
few key places. Feel free to edit, but keep it short, because if it
gets any longer, its speakers will just edit it themselves.

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Preamble

    Noisebridge is a space open to anyone interested in the creative
uses of technology. You and anyone else are free to use the space and
most of its contents at any time: just ring the doorbell to come in.

    Noisebridge is inspired by its fellow hackerspaces all around the
world, from Alberta to Zurich. If you'd like to know more about how we
work, and what we offer, visit the website, or join the weekly Tuesday
meeting at 8PM for a guided tour.

    Noisebridge is solely supported by individual donations by its
users. If you find yourself using the space regularly please consider
donating. You can donate through PayPal on our site or at the jar by
the door. A $10-$40 monthly subscription is a great way to ensure
Noisebridge stays around. You can also become a member, which means
you can take part in decisions about Noisebridge -- but you don't have
to be one to use our space.

    You can also keep Noisebridge running by helping out in the space.
Noisebridge is a "do-ocracy": if you think something needs improving
or fixing, feel free to go ahead and do it.

d.
[1] Though personally I also think it would make a great poetry slam entry.