[Noisebridge-discuss] freeware games arcade at noisebridge

doctor popular yoyogenius at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 00:48:12 UTC 2010

Hey Anna, I'm not sure we've met yet, but it's nice to see you posting to
the NB list. I'm enjoy your blog and Redder was a fantastic game
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/529992

I think it would be awesome to have an event to showcase these type of
experimental and bedroom games in SF, and it seems like Noisebridge could be
a great fit. As far events like this that have happened at Noisebridge in
the past, 5 Minutes of Fame may be a good analog. I'm not sure if you've
made it out to a 5MoF yet, but I think it's nice how 5MoF stays mostly in
the West wing of NB which leaves room for non-gaming folks to come and do
their thing.

There's also a few community of Unity and iPhone devs (that I know of) at
Noisebridge that might be interested in helping out with the event as well.

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 4:20 PM, anna anthropy <collectfruit at gmail.com>wrote:

> HELLO NOISEBRIDGE
>
> this is anna anthropy. i've made videogames for events like the eurogamer
> expo and giant robot's game over/continue. my associate jackson perkins (
> jackaperkins at gmail.com) and i want to run an event like that at
> noisebridge. think something like what babycastles (http://babycastles.com)
> is doing in new york: a party space where people can get together, talk, and
> play some games they might not otherwise have encountered in a social space.
>
> the games are new games, freeware games by bedroom hackers, designed (or
> reappropriated) for a social setting. games like nidhogg, norrland, winner
> vs. loser and das uberleben - games for multiple players with fast
> turn-arounds, and maybe some other games that we just want people to see.
> (see links below for videos of the games i'm talking about.) noisebridge
> will be a room of computers, each running a game, with people walking
> around, playing and watching and meeting new folks.
>
> we don't have an exact date in mind yet: a couple months from now? what
> this is is a call for donations: we need computers, mostly, and usb
> controllers. the computers don't have to be new. the games we plan to run
> don't have very severe hardware requirements. if we can get enough
> computers, we'd like to run a few more interesting mame games on some of
> them too. and we'd like to run some really eye-catching four-player game on
> the projector.
>
> so: if you have a computer, controllers, time, suggestions or advice that
> you would like to volunteer, please contact me at collectfruit at gmail.comor jack at
> jackaperkins at gmail.com. also feel free to suggest a name for the event.
> (any name that makes reference to the game "portal" will be ridiculed before
> it is dismissed.) and let's make this a huge, wonderful event! we're of
> course going to use the event to promote noisebridge and collect donations
> for the space.
>
> videos:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoX3obdDtbU
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEOzxrUDfM8