[Noisebridge-discuss] NoiseBoat

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Fri Dec 3 22:23:54 UTC 2010

On 12/2/10 8:26 AM, Sean Cusack wrote:
> Are any/all of those actually for sale though?

the big issue with them at a moment is they're a big pile of toxic
waste(leaching into the east bay), which makes them hard to sell.

> I guess I could start
> scavenging google to find out. I know the military typically mothballs
> stuff for a long time before they actually release it to the highest
> bidder (if ever).

much of the victory fleet was chunked up and recycled long ago...

There's really no benefit to having several thousand tuns of scrap iron
sitting around waiting for another use that's never going to happen. if
you hold something in reserve you got to keep track of when the value
associated with continuing to hold something in reserve remains higher
than the cost of getting rid of it.

> Perhaps more importantly, do any of them have a sweet jump at the end of
> their runway?! :)

we seem to think that throwing our trash in the ocean is a productive
use of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Oriskany_(CV-34)#2004_.E2.80.93_artificial_reef