[Noisebridge-discuss] Buying quality helium (Spacebridge folks?)

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Sat Dec 4 00:38:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 04:07:19PM -0800, Josh Myer wrote:
> Comrade Kennedy,
>
> Any welding supply store should have what you need:
> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=welding+supply+near+noisebridge
>
> The standard tank is ~270cuft of helium, which costs about $100.
>
> Don't forget to rent a regulator!  The 1500psi in the tank is... difficult
> to use as-is.  And you can't get the regulator at Home Depot.  If you look
> trustworthy enough, you  may be able to put a deposit down at a party supply
> store and borrow one, but don't count on it.

Indeed.  If you only need 35 cubic feet, the smaller tank will work
fine.  I bought a small tank (rather than renting) at Airgas, in the
Bayview, a few years ago; including the regulator and the fill, my bill
came to under $200.

Of course, then you've got a helium tank.  In retrospect, renting would
have been more sensible.

Note that for "pure helium" (90% helium 10% argon, according to the
internet) you want to go to a welding supply store, not a party store;
I'm told that party store tanks are filled with "balloon gas", which is
a mix of helium and standard atmosphere to reduce the cost.  (Kids'
balloons still float just fine.)  Less float in there.

Here's a helpful reference:

http://www.airproducts.com/NR/rdonlyres/7CCE748B-35BA-45B2-93D4-48AE3D3EEDF3/0/reference_cylinder_information.pdf

The "standard tank" jbm references above is a "high pressure A"; the
smaller tank I bought is, I think, either D or 4X (I'll check this
weekend).

-andy