[Noisebridge-discuss] arcade emulator shelf and mediabridge idea

miloh froggytoad at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 23:06:07 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Patrick Keys <citizenkeys at gmail.com> wrote:

> A big part of what I was hoping to setup was a good import/export deck,
> with VCR's, digitizer equipment, and the like.
>
> You might have some equipment at home, but noisebridge gives people a
> place to work together on stuff.

Patrick and all,

Let me start by saying the arcade is not abandoned.  Long live the arcade!

However, I have long been thinking about projects along these lines: a
mediagroup at Noisebridge:

Noisebridge already has some of the kind of videocentric equipment you
listed, but could very well use a copy stand, light boxes, and light rings
for still photography of small projects.  We could use a group of people who
meet regularly enough to know where equipment is stored, how to use the
tools, and how to train others.  A mediagroup at Noisebridge could maintain
and improve a hardware library for media capture and editing work while
consolidating and testing the various designs solutions for more esoteric
hardware or software like copy stands, freestreaming solutions, and
reversing the (currently) windows only microscope cam we have.

In addition to offering a place for media capture and conversion, we should
be contributing to open source projects (Lumiera really needs it, see
http://lumiera.org/ ), and promoting creative commons licensing or copyleft
philosophy for work completed.
See http://creativecommons.org , http://archive.org , and
http://www.digitaltippingpoint.com/

In short, Noisebridge can certainly be a place where tools are available to
convert/upgrade physical media into more portable, replicable, and
spreadable digital media.

I've already donated DVcameras, a tanktop, digital audio recorders,
microphones, suitcases ;), and other gear that has been used to produce and
capture hundreds of hours of 5Mo'Fame video and audio from the last 14
months.  We still haven't edited that, it's a huge task to get done
correctly and it needs more hands and eyes.

As for a getting a copy stand, Arlen on the Noisebridge darkroom list
recently brought up the possibility of converting an enlarger for this
purpose (see https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/darkroom ).  I'm
really excited about the possibilities here, not just because I have boxes
of journals and photographs that I'm interested in cc archiving :-)

Since the arcade is not truly abandoned, let's share the desk space there
and clean up around the hack shelves in order to figure out a better storage
system for the media equipment Noisebridge already has.  If we organize and
label the hackshelves clearly we can get space for more member shelves as
well as groups storage.

We should work on this and plan what else we need, and how to continue with
this project in the coming weeks..  I'm there on Mondays and Tuesdays to
start.

-ronald miloh alexander