[Noisebridge-discuss] UV-Reactive Oil?

meredith scheff satiredun at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 20:05:51 UTC 2010

As I learned in a very messy way, both parafin and vaseline are UV reactive.
I want to say baby oil is, as well. I think petrolium based oils tend to be
in varying degress.

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Jonathan Foote <jtfoote at ieee.org> wrote:

> Got it: fluorescent dyes for candle wax.
> http://www.candlechem.com/coloring.htm (scroll down for
> "fluorescent".)
> May need to melt them or thin them with naphtha (lighter fluid) or
> similar solvent so they dissolve better into the oil.
>
> (Turns out p-terphenyl is nicely polar but has a fluorescence peak
> well into the UV)
>

> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Hephaestus <hephaestus at antipunk.net>
> wrote:
> > Hey Hackers,
> >
> > Does anyone know of a UV-Reactive Oil or any other substance (that's
> > less than massively toxic) which is UV-Reactive and not water-soluble?
> > I'd like to build a lighting effect which is a tube of clear liquid
> > (water?) with bubbles of another UV-Reactive liquid floating up
> > through it.
> >
> > --
> > Heph

doing stuff and making things
---
"The function of all art ... is an extension of the function of the visual
brain, to acquire knowledge; ...artists are, in a sense, neurologists who
study the capacities of the visual brain with techniques that are unique to
them. ." -Semir Zeki