[Noisebridge-discuss] Should NB mirror WikiLeaks?

Sai sai at saizai.com
Tue Dec 7 23:51:09 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org> wrote:
> That's not what your email said.  If you'd said "hey I'd like to donate
> a mirror to noisebridge, here's the IP" that'd be cool.  "Should NB do
> $FOO" sounds like code for "somebody else should do $FOO for the group".

I honestly don't understand what you're seeing here. Could you name a
specific action that you think I'm demanding some individual perform,
or some resource I want from an individual?

AFAICT all I am suggesting (or asking for, if you prefer to put it
less neutrally) is
a) group permission to use wikileaks.noisebridge.net
b) group permission to use a NB-owned server to host it (and to follow
the policy in https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/MemoryHole about that
hosting account)
c) an admin willing to enter the server commands needed OR to give me
the privilege to enter 'em myself

Why use group resources? 'cause as an individual I can't afford to
host a high traffic site, reach as many people, or have the same
amount of legal and community defense. This is hardly (I think) a case
of wanting to exploit group resources for *personal* gain.

(Will I do it myself anyway? Yes, same as others are. But it won't
make more than minor incremental impact.)

Aside from (c) - a single sudoers command is hardly a huge imposition
on your time - what do you think I'm asking someone else to "do"?

If there isn't something, how would you suggest I phrase these
requests for permission—which your email seemed to agree with—in such
a way that it doesn't come off as demanding in the way that it has to
you?

>> Please stop mischaracterizing what I say, like with here where you act
>
> Hey, I just call 'em like I see 'em.

And I appreciate the candor.

But it'd be nice if you tried to also be a bit more empathic; I'm also
pretty blunt but I try hard to accurately represent the views of
people I disagree with. I hope you would call me on it if I
mischaracterized *you*; AFAIK I have not done so.

> OK, what IP would you like to point at?

If the answer to "can we use a NB server to host it" part of this
discussion is "no", then I'll let you know once mine is ready. It's
currently downloading the torrents while I look into how to set up a
scp/rsync only chroot securely. (I sorta vaguely know about jails but
have never have had to actually do it.)

>> And even if I could do it myself, and did, I would still think it's
>> something that should be discussed, because it has potentially serious
>> political and legal entailments.
>
> Sure, that's a discussion I'm fine with having.

… I'm a bit perturbed that that'd even be in question. I certainly
didn't mean to imply you were advocating censorship of it.

FWIW: the fact that we're concerned about *bogus* legal reprecussions
for an action we (so far) seem to all support in principle (or at
least be neutral to) is the very definition of "chilling effects".

I kinda thought that, as expressed on that MemoryHole page, we'd have
the chutzpah to stand up to that. Not to cross into things that are
actually illegal that we still approve of (I'm sure y'all can think of
some of those) and thus ought not do as an organization, but to simply
do what we believe to be right.

- Sai