[Noisebridge-discuss] Should NB mirror WikiLeaks?

Sai sai at saizai.com
Wed Dec 8 01:17:21 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Josh Myer <josh at joshisanerd.com> wrote:
> /jbm, taking the utilitarian view that we'll get more noisebridgers to
> mirror wikileaks if there isn't a sanctioned NB mirror

Interesting idea. What if we did something like this:

* everybody hosts their own mirrors
* wikileaks.noisebridge.net is a very small script hosted on a NB
server that has a list of those mirrors and returns 302 FOUND for all
requests, doing simple prefix substitution to point to one of the
mirrors at random [or, insert your more sophisticated distributed load
balancing solution here]

This would distribute the traffic load (thus not using up a scarce
resource), not require that WL has access to a NB server, and reduce
legal liability (no actual file hosting). It would still attract all
the same attention (negative and positive), and would still be the
first point of failure.

I'd be happy to contribute my little server to such a pool as well as
to set up the script, if I'm given the needed apache access.

What do you think, Josh; would that achieve what you want?

- Sai