[Noisebridge-discuss] Seeking advice on connecting Motorola Tracfone to VOIP carrier

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Fri Dec 10 07:38:18 UTC 2010

 On Thursday, December 9, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Owen Pietrokowsky wrote:

> I'm trying to connect my Motorola Tracfone (model C139) cell phone to a low-cost VOIP carrier. I'm also looking for a SIP client for my cell phone. Is there SIP software for a cellphone of this make/model?

Unfortunately, there isn't an easy way to go about this on your handset. As far as I can tell, it supports J2ME applications and there are J2ME SIP apps.

However, there's not a non-cellular way to haul the bits off of your phone (like WiFi or a tether), so you end up having to pay for data from a mobile operator anyway.

One (non-low cost) way of going about this might be to use a modified USRP Software Defined Radio (SDR) to connect your calls out to a VoIP provider, but you'll end up spending like $1500 USD on that solution.

> Is there anyone at NB who uses their cell phone in a similar way?

I do, and have been very happy making SIP calls when I'm at home or work. I use a VoIP provider that lets you set your caller id, so I just set my mobile number on outbound calls, and let inbound calls route normally.

> That is with VOIP carrier, DID, Asterisk (on NB server) and SIP client. Thank you.

Yes, there is some VoIP infrastructure at Noisebridge and I'm happy to explain it or show it to anyone interested.

Cheers,
jof