[Noisebridge-discuss] Anyone willing to part with their USRP?

Jake jake at spaz.org
Sat Dec 11 22:57:32 UTC 2010

Well, i looked into my assumption that the USRP was truly "open-source"
and this is what i found:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/

"The schematics are available, the PCB files and gerbers are not."

so, we would have to eagle-up a board from scratch, but hey!  it's worth
it!  The thing is, it would probably take multiple layers, and for various
reasons, we would not make the boards ourselves.

As for the actual soldering, no it is not that hard to solder TSSOP (is
there anything finer than that?) even if you're not Mike Kahn.  I have
literally soldered shit like that with my 100-watt W100P and solder braid.
It's fun and easy, and we have all the tools at noisebridge (the hot-air
soldering machine can take a 166-pin MILF package off a board without
hurting it)

So, in other words, if you and me and 3 other people want a USRP, we
should start by making a parts list and sitting down on Eagle for a
minute.  There will always be more comers after we find success.

You think the SMD badge kit is hot and makes you money?  Wait until you
have a USRP kit.

What is a USRP good for?  the possibilities are limitless.

-jake