[Noisebridge-discuss] Anyone willing to part with their USRP?

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Sun Dec 12 01:41:44 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 5:24 PM, Josh Myer <josh at joshisanerd.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 5:08 PM, Dr. Jesus <j at hug.gs> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Josh Myer <josh at joshisanerd.com> wrote:
>> > Does anyone have a USRP (w/ or w/out daughterboards) they never use and
>> > would like to transmute into cash?  Drop me a line off-list.
>>
>> Does it have to be a USRP specifically, or just something that can
>> talk to GnuRadio and has air interfaces for specific frequencies?
>
> I'm pretty sure the USRP is the only thing that'll do what I'm after, but
> I'm pretty agnostic.  I like the USRP for various reasons, but would
> consider anything that will give me a few hundred kHz of bandwidth at ~1GHZ
> (ideally ~2MHz bw).

You could put a TI/chipcon radio into ADC bypass mode, which gives you
a few MHz of spectrum via the raw ADC signal on some of the chip's
pins.  Those radios can tune around 800-900 MHz and around the other
unlicensed bands.

I'm sure there aren't any GnuRadio drivers for them, though.  The one
advantage of that approach is that they're ridiculously cheap, like
you can get them in the girltech IM devices for $20 or something.