[Noisebridge-discuss] another fridge for bridge?

Christina Olson daravinne at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 18:30:01 UTC 2010

Dunno if anyone's thought of this, but hacking a chest freezer's temperature
control makes for a very cost efficient fridge.  Every time you open the
door on a regular vertical fridge all the cold air basically falls out,
because it's heavier than the hotter air outside the fridge, and then the
fridge has to work harder (meaning use more power [ power == dollars]) to
replace all the cold air that just went poof.  Chest units don't have this
problem, because, well, they're horizontal, cold air stays where it is when
you open the top.  I saw a hacked unit like this at PS:1 in Chicago.

Half assed googling gets me this article:
http://hackaday.com/2009/08/27/energy-efficient-fridge-hack/  > "In the end,
his fridge only used 103 Wh of electricity on the first day to reach and
maintain between 4° and 7° C (39° to 45° F), and he noted that 30% of that
was just getting it up to temperature. After that, the fridge only turned on
for roughly 90 seconds an hour, making it a very quiet fridge as well."
 There's also a link to a pdf with a somewhat vague (to me who is not overly
familiar with appliance circuits) set of instructions on how to screw with
the thermostat.

Less power + greater efficiency per dollar == fewer dollars per month to
have cold things