[Noisebridge-discuss] another fridge for bridge?

meredith scheff satiredun at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 02:26:11 UTC 2010

because we need more rotting food in noisebridge...

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Rachel McConnell <rachel at xtreme.com> wrote:

> Well we'd have to adjust how the compressor is attached since that won't
> work unless it's upright.  I'd love to do this, though.  Check the
> instructable that someone else posted in this thread.
>
> Shannon Lee wrote:
> > We could just turn the fridge on its side...
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Christina Olson <daravinne at gmail.com
> > <mailto:daravinne at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Dunno if anyone's thought of this, but hacking a chest freezer's
> >     temperature control makes for a very cost efficient fridge.  Every
> >     time you open the door on a regular vertical fridge all the cold air
> >     basically falls out, because it's heavier than the hotter air
> >     outside the fridge, and then the fridge has to work harder (meaning
> >     use more power [ power == dollars]) to replace all the cold air that
> >     just went poof.  Chest units don't have this problem, because, well,
> >     they're horizontal, cold air stays where it is when you open the
> >     top.  I saw a hacked unit like this at PS:1 in Chicago.
> >
> >     Half assed googling gets me this article:
> >      http://hackaday.com/2009/08/27/energy-efficient-fridge-hack/  > "In
> >     the end, his fridge only used 103 Wh of electricity on the first day
> >     to reach and maintain between 4° and 7° C (39° to 45° F), and he
> >     noted that 30% of that was just getting it up to temperature. After
> >     that, the fridge only turned on for roughly 90 seconds an hour,
> >     making it a very quiet fridge as well."  There's also a link to a
> >     pdf with a somewhat vague (to me who is not overly familiar with
> >     appliance circuits) set of instructions on how to screw with the
> >     thermostat.
> >
> >     Less power + greater efficiency per dollar == fewer dollars per
> >     month to have cold things
> >

> >     On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 9:48 AM, jim <jim at systemateka.com
> >     <mailto:jim at systemateka.com>> wrote:
> >

> >           refrigerators take a lot of current == power == dollars
> >         per month
> >

> >         On Sun, 2010-12-12 at 23:29 -0800, Kelly wrote:
> >         > You guys, Noisebridge already has two fridges. Just saying.
> >         >
> >         > And the temperature of Noisebridge generally is probably not
> >         going to
> >         > vary far from the wine-fridge window (50-57°F)...
> >         >
> >         > JUST SAYING.
> >         >
> >         > -K
> >         >
> >         > On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 16:55, Patrick Keys
> >         <citizenkeys at gmail.com <mailto:citizenkeys at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >         > > On the topic of fridges...
> >         > > Noisebridge has a small wine fridge that somebody, for some
> >         reason, cut
> >         > > the power cable.
> >         > >
> >         > > If anybody can fix that power cable, I think it would be
> >         great for
> >         > > noisebridge to have a stash of wine on-hand.
> >         > >
> >         > >
> [...]

doing stuff and making things
---
"The function of all art ... is an extension of the function of the visual
brain, to acquire knowledge; ...artists are, in a sense, neurologists who
study the capacities of the visual brain with techniques that are unique to
them. ." -Semir Zeki