[Noisebridge-discuss] More fun designing printed circuits tonight at the EagleCAD workshop

Tymm Twillman tymmothy at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 15:35:38 UTC 2010

Hi Felipe,

I'm happy to share some of my experience... this is based on trying gEDA some months ago, but if I remember right, the issues I've had have been primarily:

- work flow: needing to export from one tool, import into another has been a lot more work than it should be
-- especially because changes become really hard to deal with; e.g. changing one part, or even a connection, means a lot of work.  changing a package can really suck.
-- likewise, forward & back-annotation (change something on the board layout and it's reflected in the schematic, and vice-versa, without re-import) is really important... and at least was non-existant with gEDA then

- Libraries... despite lack of quality control w/Eagle libraries (even the ones they distribute) there are lots of them available.

- I remember the UI being difficult.  Not that it's easy with Eagle (downright stupid in lots of places really), but I put in my time learning Eagle before gEDA was even around; now I need to know there's a good likelihood that my efforts will be rewarded if I decide to switch

- OSX, my main platform presently, is not a well supported OS for gEDA (or at least it wasn't when I last checked).  Everything was beta and considered to be likely to break.

I do have to say, the quality of boards I've seen come out of gEDA has been really impressive... but the times I've spent playing with it haven't been very productive, and it's been a bit disappointing.  Admittedly if I didn't already know Eagle fairly well, I probably would have put more time into it.

Thanks,

-Tymm