[Noisebridge-discuss] warflying

travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org
Thu Dec 16 01:38:01 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 10:12:25PM -0800, Jake wrote:
> If the plane's body is nonmetallic you can keep the antennas inside

Faraday cage, for lightning protection. :-(

> I recommend a high-quality unit like a Garmin.
> Better GPSs will update your location faster and in a plane, why bother
> unless you're getting good data..

Yeah, I checked out the gpsd webpage, and it appears garmins are
either hit or miss, they talk like five or more protocols, depending
on the model, and not all are useful.  If I don't hear specifics, I'll
get the best-recommended one there.  They mention that some of them
track much faster than others.

I'm also wondering if the GPS data will be useful if I'm aiming out a
window, since I'll actually be picking up an antenna somewhere
different.  Maybe if I had an antenna pointing down... but as Dr. J
pointed out, dipole antennas used on WAPs have a donut-shaped
footprint.
--
Good code works on most inputs; correct code works on all inputs.