[Noisebridge-discuss] accountability of money

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Mon Dec 20 04:20:38 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Patrick Keys <citizenkeys at gmail.com>wrote:

> * The checks/balances of spending money kinda bothers me the most.
> Sometimes the vibe feels like the default conclusion is to assume people
> stole money, when in fact they used the money to buy drinks or snacks
> for everybody.

To the question of "Are people stealing from the jars?": I collated the
donation jar data on the wiki a few weeks ago and looked at it; a reasonably
short rolling average was pretty smooth, with peaks around the third
Thursdays of the month (yay 5MoF!).  Anyone else interested in this should
do the same collation work (I did this is as a throwaway exercise, and would
actually like it if someone else cross-checked it).

In any case, point being: if the buckets are being pilfered, it's being done
either in a small way or very uniformly.  That was reassuring for me, at
least.
--
Josh Myer 415.230.9791 <-- NOTE: New number!
 josh at joshisanerd.com

PS The specific sort of purchase you describe, of "drinks and snacks," if
it's happened, is a wholly inappropriate use for the money in the jars.
 Tastebridge has its own little bucket for that, and let's skip the question
of buying drinks to put into the fridge to be disbursed with suggested
donations of $2.  That was a big can of worms.  (Toilet paper is another
gimme, but: it would be Excellent if anyone buying TP would consider it a
donation.)